The Mission of the Jefferson Parish Housing Authority is the same as that of the Department of Housing and Urban Development:
To promote adequate and affordable housing, economic opportunity and a suitable living environment free from discrimination.
The Jefferson Parish Housing Authority has the following goals for the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program:
- To assist the local economy by increasing the occupancy rate and the amount of money flowing into the community.
- To encourage self-sufficiency of participant families and assist in the expansion of family opportunities, which address educational, socio-economic, recreational and other human services, needs.
- To create positive public awareness and expand the level of family, owner, and community support in accomplishing JPHA’s mission.
- To attain and maintain a high level of standards and professionalism in our day-to-day management of all program components.
- To provide decent, safe, and sanitary housing for very low-income families while maintaining their rent payments at an affordable level.
- To ensure that all units meet Housing Quality Standards and families pay fair and reasonable rents.
- To promote fair housing and the opportunity for very low-income families of all ethnic backgrounds to experience freedom of housing choice.
- To promote a housing program which maintains quality service and integrity while providing an incentive to private property owners to rent to very low-income families.
- To promote a market-driven housing program that will help qualified low-income families be successful in obtaining affordable housing and increase the supply of housing choices for such families.