Web tool will increase transparency, keep public informed and involved in Recovery Act spending
WASHINGTON – HUD announced that it is joining USDA’s geospatial project by uploading HUD Recovery Act data into USDA’s cutting edge web tool, which will allow Americans to learn how and where HUD is spending money provided through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (Recovery Act).
USDA developed the tool and launched it on the 100th day of the Obama Administration. Since USDA launched the tool, there have had more than 1 and a half million hits.
"HUD and this Administration are committed to providing the highest level of transparency possible as Recovery Act funds are spent," said HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan. "It is vitally important that the American people are fully aware of how their tax dollars are being spent and can hold their federal leaders accountable. We are proud to collaborate with USDA on this project and build on their effort to increase transparency by launching this innovative web tool today on HUD’s Recovery Act website."
The Recovery Act includes $13.61 billion for projects and programs administered by HUD, nearly 75 percent of which was allocated to state and local recipients only eight days after President Obama signed the Act into law. The remaining 25 percent of funds will be awarded through a competitive grant process in the coming months.
To visit the HUD/USDA map, use the following link: www.usda.gov/recovery/map. HUD’s Recovery Act website was launched on May 8, 2009 in order to increase transparency and access to HUD Recovery Act information.
The tool allows an internet user to search and view HUD and USDA projects that are funded by the Recovery Act nationwide. Users can also see the total amount of Recovery Act funds going to each state and how many grants and/or contracts are being signed under a specific program. Users can search by agency, state or amount of money that is obligated to grantees.
"This website is yet another effort to keep President Obama’s promise of an open and transparent government, responsive and accountable to the American people – we are thrilled to be working on this project with HUD," said USDA Secretary Vilsack.
President Obama signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act into law on February 17, 2009, as the nation faced the greatest economic crisis in half a century.Just over 100 days into the two-year economic recovery program, over $135 billion in Recovery Act funds have been obligated to programs and projects that create jobs and strengthen the economy.